Chicken Divan was created in the 1930s at the Divan Parisian Restaurant in Manhattan, and has since become a classic. While most recipes call for mayonnaise, canned soup, and a lot more fat, this recipe has been significantly lightened up to maintain it’s flavour without all the added fat.
Broccoli and chicken in a creamy cheesy sauce, topped with more cheese and breadcrumbs. You can make this quickly by using leftover chicken, or precooked chicken breasts and you can use frozen broccoli. Serve this with a green salad on the side to make this a complete meal.
~ Lower Calorie Chicken Divan ~
- 1-1/2 lbs broccoli (3 large heads) chopped
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 18 oz cooked)
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp shallots, minced (onions would work too)
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 oz dry sherry (white wine would work)
- 6 oz shredded reduced-fat swiss
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and blanch 3 minutes. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Saute chicken on medium-low heat on both sides until browned, and just about cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a cutting board. When cooled, slice chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add the butter and oil until melted and then add garlic and shallots.
- Sprinkle the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in broth, milk and sherry and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the swiss cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the broccoli in a casserole dish and pour half of the sauce over the broccoli.
- Arrange the chicken on top and cover with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining swiss cheese, grated parmesan and top with breadcrumbs.
- Spray a little oil on top.
- Bake 30 minutes and serve hot.
Serves 6 – Serving Size: 1/6th – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 335, Fat: 12g, Protein: 34g, Carbohydrate: 19g, Fibre: 4g