This classic French casserole recipe starts with pieces of chicken, cooked together with shallots, brandy, wine and served with a rich tomato and mushroom based sauce.
- 600g lean skinless chicken breast fillets, fat trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat.
- Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes each side or until browned.
- Transfer to an oven proof casserole dish.
- Cook onion and garlic in same pan, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add to chicken with mushroom, carrot, tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/3 of parsley.
- Pour stock cube dissolved in 300ml hot water into frying pan and bring to the boil.
- Add to casserole dish and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, in oven for 1 hour or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve with steamed brown rice.