Fancy a cheeseburger for dinner? This lower calorie version is easy to make and tastes delicious! What is a cheeseburger casserole? – Think cheeseburger essential ingredients such as lean ground hamburger meat, sauteed with diced tomatoes, onions, a touch of mustard and other ingredients such as pasta, all topped with melted cheddar and finished off with diced pickles.
- 2 cups (6 oz) uncooked rotini pasta (use brown rice pasta for GF)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups reduced fat grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente and drain well.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beef and cook until browned; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then add the tomatoes and mustard.
- Let the mixture bubble gently until it is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Toss the meat mixture with the pasta and spread it into the prepared dish.
- Top with the cheddar and bake until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped pickles over the top and serve.
Serves 9 – Serving Size: about 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 261, Fat: 9g, Protein: 22g, Carbohydrate: 22g, Fibre: 2g, Sugar: 3g