Lovely mixed berries and cake! You wouldn’t think that these recipes would be allowed if you are watching the calories. The video shows the traditional recipe – but it does show you how to make this. However the lower calorie recipe uses a fat-free sponge for this dessert and you can serve it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt for a relatively guilt free pudding!
Lower Calorie Berry Upside-Down Cake
- 500 grams frozen mixed berries
- 4 large eggs
- 125 grams (4oz) caster sugar
- 125 grams (4oz) plain flour
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180ºC (170ºC in a fan oven).
- Scatter berries over base of cake tin.
- In a large bowl, add eggs and sugar, then whisk over a bowl of hot water for about 10 mins, till very pale and thick and the whisk can leave a figure of eight on top of mixture if it’s lifted out of bowl.
- Gently fold in flour in three batches, then spoon mixture evenly over berries.
- Cook for about 35-40 mins, till golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve warm or cold.
You will need: a 20.5cm / 8in square cake tin, greased and base lined with greaseproof paper.
Serves 8 – Serving Size 1/8 cake – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 162, Fat: 3g, Carbohydrate: 28g