This is a tasty low calorie, English classic with a twist. The added mushrooms were just what was needed to lift this family favourite to the next level.
- 1 ib. of Braising Steak or any stewing beef cut
- 2 x Cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 x teaspoon of mixed herbs, 1 x teaspoon of Paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- (optional to taste) couple of dashes of worcester sauce, (lea & perrins)
- A punnet of Mushroom, Sliced
- 3-4 Sweet potatoes, diced
- 6-7 large Carrots, diced
- 1 x Large Leek, sliced,
- Spray a large pan with low-cal. cooking spray, and lightly fry off the beef.
- When brown, add the onions, and all the first part ingredients, bring to the boil, cover with lid and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stir every 20 minutes.
- Stir in all the vegetables of the second part, except for the mushrooms, make sure all the mixture is covered by the liquid, by topping up with beef stock, (oxo) about 3/4 pint, cover again and bring to the boil
- When boiled add the mushrooms, now simmer for 40 minutes.
- Test the veg for tenderness, allow more time if not quite ready, serve or reheat later and serve.
This recipe will give three people, two hearty bowls each!