Use baked potatoes as the base of a delicious creamy soup that’s flavoured with all the things you love on your potatoes: Bacon, cheese, sour cream, and green onions. This would also be great topped with broccoli and cheese if you prefer to leave out the bacon.
The video shows you how to make this soup and makes about 8-10 cups, enough for 6 individual servings. It will keep 2-3 days in refrigerator. It’s best not to freeze this soup because the potatoes might taste starchy once they are frozen. You can change the number of servings to make a smaller batch of the soup.
~ Lower Calorie Baked Potato Soup ~
- 2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 small head of cauliflower, stem removed cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 10 tbsp reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp chopped chives, divided
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (you can use turkey bacon if you prefer)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; microwave on high for 5 minutes turn over and microwave another 3 – 5 minutes, until tender. Or if you prefer to use your oven, bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender.
- Allow the potatoes to cool and then peel them.
- Steam the cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to pot.
- On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- Add sour cream, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl.
- Top each serving with 2 tbsp cheese, remaining chives, and bacon.
Serves 5 – Serving size: 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 208, Fat: 8g, Carbohydrate: 22g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 12g