This easy Galette recipe is reminiscent of the perfect apple pie with a rustic twist. This delicious dessert topped with a vanilla yoghurt drizzle saves on saturated fat and makes the whole-grain crust even better by swapping some of the butter with low fat yoghurt.
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour, divided (about 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp.)
- 3.1 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 1/2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yoghurt, divided
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pounds apples, cut crosswise into 1/8-in.-thick slices
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor; pulse 3 to 4 times to combine.
- Add butter; pulse 8 to 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk and 1/4 cup yoghurt; pulse 20 times or until pea-size lumps form and dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a work surface; shape into a 6-inch disk.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, brown sugar, juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and apples in a large bowl; toss to coat.
- Unwrap dough; place on a large piece of lightly floured parchment paper.
- Roll dough to a 15-inch circle.
- Place parchment paper with dough on a baking sheet.
- Spoon apple mixture onto dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Fold edges of dough over filling to partially cover.
- Brush edges of dough with egg white.
- Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
Serves 8 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories 254, Fat 9g, Protein 5g, Carbohydrate 40g, Fibre 3g, Sugar 20g