Making apple cobbler isn’t something that requires years of experience in the kitchen. Here we have warm cinnamon apples topped with a sweet golden cobbler crust. Top this with a spoon of whipped topping or frozen yoghurt to make a delicious low calorie dessert! The video shows you how to make apple cobbler and the lower calorie recipe is below the video.
Lower Calorie Apple Cobbler
Ingredients For The Filling
- 2 1/2 lbs Gala apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4″ thick (weight of peeled apples 26.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup honey or agave
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp chilled light butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- In a large heavy pot, combine all the apple filling ingredients and simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes, gently stirring occasionally until the apples are soft.
- Divide warm apples into 6 (8 oz) ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the chilled butter (must be cold) and cut the butter until pebble-sized pieces are formed.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk and oil; mix well.
- Add to the dry mixture and mix until just moistened, careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon the batter over the apples in the ramekins.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake 30 minutes, until apples are bubbling and the topping is golden.
- Allow it to stand for 8 to 10 minutes before eating.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 262, Fat: 5g, Carbohydrates: 57g, Fibre: 4g, Protein: 2g, Sugar: 39g