Our body shapes are generally narrowed down to five general categories: pear, wedge, rectangle, apple and hourglass. You might fall into one category, or you might be a blend of two or more categories. But if life is curvy then dress for it and here are some plus size fashion tips for dressing your curves.
Once you’ve determined your body shape, you can begin to consider which fashion trends to embrace and which to avoid. Spend some time in front of the mirror and do a fair and honest assessment of your body. Then put these fashion tips to work for you!
Pear Body Shape
- Pear-shaped celebrities: Kim Kardashian, Eva Mendes, Jennifer Love-Hewitt, Katherine Heigl
- Pear body traits: Your lower body is wider than your upper body — in other words, your hips are wider than your shoulders. Your bottom is rounded and your waist is well-defined.
- Your best assets: Shoulders, torso and flat stomach
- Your fashion goals: Emphasize your waist and arms, add volume to your shoulders and upper body and minimize your hips.
Wedge or Inverted Triangle Body Shape
- Wedge-shaped celebs: Naomi Campbell, Demi Moore, Renee Zellweger, Teri Hatcher
- Wedge body traits: Also known as the inverted triangle, this body shape features a broad chest and wide shoulders which are large in proportion to a narrow waist and hips.
- Your best asset: Your legs
- Your fashion goals: Accentuate your lower body while softening your shoulders and upper body.
Rectangle Body Shape
- Rectangle-shaped celebs: Natalie Portman, Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, Hilary Swank
- Rectangle body traits: The waist, hip and shoulder widths are similar and are usually on the slim side. Slender rectangles have an athletic look about them.
- Your best assets: Your arms and legs — and you don’t have to minimize any body features.
- Your fashion goals: Create curves and show off slender legs and arms.
Apple Body Shape
- Apple-shaped celebs: Drew Barrymore, Queen Latifah, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Hudson
- Apple body traits: Most of your weight accumulates above the hips, which are narrow. Your back, ribs and shoulders are broad, and you may feel wider than other body types.
- Your best asset: Those legs!
- Your fashion goals: Elongate the torso, show off your legs and use fashion to create the illusion of a waist.
Hourglass Body Shape
- Hourglass-shaped celebs: Beyonce, Salma Hayek, Scarlett Johansson, Halle Berry, Vanessa Minnillo
- Hourglass body traits: Your shoulders and hips are similar in proportion and set off by a tiny waist.
- Your best assets: Curves, curves, curves!
- Your fashion goals: Show off your curves without going overboard.