These tasty sandwiches are made with beef, onions, mushrooms, cheese, mayo, mustard and lettuce. Really easy to make and taste super. The original South Philly cheesesteaks were made with thin sliced rib eye steak, topped with cheez whiz or provolone cheese and served on a crusty hoagie roll and the first recipe shows you how to make this – the second recipe is low fat and much better for your diet!
~ Low Fat Steak and Cheese Sandwiches with Onions and Mushrooms ~
Steak with Onions and Mushrooms:
- 1/2 lb thin cut beef round sandwich steaks
- 1/2 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- low calorie cooking spray
- garlic powder to taste
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 12 oz French bread or baguette, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 slices reduced-fat cheese slices
- Slice beef into thin strips. Season with salt, garlic powder and fresh pepper to taste.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. When the pan is very hot, spray with cooking spray and add half of the beef. Cook one minute, then turn steak and cook an additional 30 seconds. Set aside in a large dish.
- Spray the pan again and when it gets hot add the remaining steak, cooking one minute, then turning and cooking 30 seconds more. Add remaining steak to the dish. Return skillet to heat and spray once again with cooking spray; add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook one minute, then turn and cook onions an additional 30 seconds or until onions are golden.
- Lower heat to medium and add 1/2 tsp olive oil to the skillet, add mushrooms, salt and pepper and lightly spray the top of the mushrooms with cooking spray. Cook 1 1/2 minutes, then turn mushrooms and cook another minute and a half. Add to dish with steak and onions and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 425° or set your grill to low.
- Once the steak is cooked and ready, cut bread into 4 pieces.
- Divide steak and mushrooms evenly between four sandwiches and place a slice of cheese on each one.
- Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and heat in the oven or grill until the cheese melts; about 2 – 3 minutes, be careful not to burn your sandwich if using the grill.
- Scoop out some of the bread to make a bigger sandwich without the added calories or points.
- The steak with mushrooms and onions also tastes great with rice.
Serves: 4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 350, Fat: 8g, Protein: 24g, Carbohydrate: 43g, Fibre: 3g, Sugar: 1g