This spinach and chicken salad recipe is delicious. The chicken is marinaded with lemon, garlic and oregano, then grilled to perfection. Serve this over a colourful salad with a white balsamic vinaigrette – absolutely yummy!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 oz each)
- 7 oz bag baby spinach
- few thin slices of red onion
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 carrot, sliced into ribbons
For the Marinade:
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
For the White Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the marinade ingredients – lemon juice, oregano, garlic puree, salt and black pepper and pour over chicken, let it marinade in the refrigerator a minimum of two hours, but preferably 4-6 hours or longer.
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high, make sure your grates are clean and lightly oiled to prevent sticking. When the grill is hot, lay the chicken on the grill. Cook the chicken until well browned on both sides and firm, but not hard to the touch. Transfer to a plate when done.
- Divide spinach, onions, carrots, tomatoes and peppers on 4 plates. Top with the chicken and drizzle with balsamic dressing over each.
Serves: 4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 183, Fat: 8g, Protein: 17g , Carbohydrate: 11g, Fibre: 3 g, Sugar: 2g