These tasty little fish-cakes make a delicious lunch-time meal and they are also low in calories. By using a little flour to coat them, as opposed to bread crumbs, and by omitting the usual mayonnaise (or egg), these rather rustic, chunky fish-cakes come in at only 285 calories per portion. Serve with a salad and you have a complete meal that is filling and full of flavour! This video shows you how to make salmon fish cakes and the low calorie recipe is below the video.
These fish-cakes are made with tinned salmon, but they would also be excellent if made with fresh salmon too. You can adapt the recipe to taste, omitting the Tabasco sauce and/or capers if you don’t like them. Be patient when you cook the salmon cakes as they need to be cooked over a low heat and be turned regularly, so they heat right through and become a lovely golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- 213g tin of wild salmon (165g drained)
- 140g cold mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 to 4 sprays of low-fat spray oil
- Mash the tinned salmon in a bowl, discarding the skin and bones if you wish.
- Add the mashed potato, chopped herbs and capers to the salmon and mix thoroughly.
- Add the Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste, mix well again.
- Roll the mixture on a lightly floured board into a sausage shape, and then wrap in cling-film and chill for at least 30 minutes in the freezer.
- When you are ready to cook the fish-cakes, take the mixture out of the freezer and cut into 4 cakes, or thinner ones if you wish, although thicker ones are best, as you will use less flour and oil.
- Dust each fish-cake in a little flour, so they are completely covered.
- Spray the low-fat oil into a large non-stick frying pan that is big enough to take all of the fish-cakes on one layer and heat over a medium heat.
- Cook the fish-cakes over a low heat turning carefully every
few minutes, until they are golden brown and warm right through.
- Serve immediately with fresh chopped herbs, a wedge of lemon and a green salad.
- Add 26 calories for a tablespoon of light tartare sauce.
Serves 2 – Serving Size 2 Salmon Cakes – Nutrition Per Serving
285 calories per portion of two fish cakes.