This quick-and-easy recipe makes a ton of delicious gravy, which is excellent spooned over mashed potatoes or buttery noodles. The video shows you how to make a comfort-food classic: beefy Salisbury steak with a creamy mushroom gravy.
~ Lower Calorie Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy ~
In this version turkey and lean beef are combined to keep it light yet still maintain a beefy flavour. The addition of mushrooms to the gravy completes the dish, sneaking in vegetables and giving this a wonderful flavour.
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 3/4 cup onions, minced
- 1 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 cup water
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Sauté onions in oil over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions, ground beef, ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, egg white, 1/4 cup beef broth, salt and black pepper.
- Shape into 8 oval patties.
- In a large deep pan over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties.
- Set aside on a dish.
- Add mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and pepper and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Return patties to the pan with the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining broth until smooth.
- Mix in remaining onions, tomato paste, vinegar, water, worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
- Pour over meat and mushrooms in the pan.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with mash or noodles, with a vegetable on the side.
Serves 8 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 247.5, Fat: 11 g, Protein: 27 g, Carbohydrate: 10.5 g, Fibre: 1 g, Sugar: 2.5 g