This is an easy-to-make, creamy cheese tart with sweet tomatoes and a hint of chilli. The video shows you how to make a Ricotta and Tomato Tart and the lower calorie recipe including spinach is below the video.
- 225g/8oz shortcrust pastry or bought shortcrust pastry, plus flour for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g/9oz spinach leaves
- 250g carton ricotta
- About 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100ml/4fl oz double cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of chilli flakes
You Will Also Need
A 20.5cm/8in round loose-bottomed tart tin, parchment paper and baking beans.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6/200°C (180°C in a fan oven).
- Roll pastry out on a lightly floured board, then use to line tin, allowing edges to overlap sides.
- Roll a rolling pin over top of tin to neaten.
- Line with parchment paper, then fill with baking beans.
- Put in oven to bake for about 15 mins.
- Take out and remove beans and paper, brush with egg wash and put back in oven for 5-6 mins until pale golden and crisp.
- Remove and put to one side to cool.
- Turn oven down to gas mark 4/180 ̊C (160 ̊C in a fan oven).
- Heat oil in large frying pan and add onion, season and cook for 1-2 mins until soft.
- Add spinach leaves and stir around pan until leaves wilt.
- Transfer to tart base, covering evenly.
- Add spoonfuls of ricotta, again evenly, then dot around tomato halves, cut side down.
- Mix together cream and eggs and stir in garlic, chilli and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and pour over tart.
- Put in oven and bake for about 30 mins until set and pale golden.
- Remove and leave to cool for 5 mins.
- Release tin sides, then sit tart on a wire rack to cool.
- Slice and serve with a rocket salad.
Serves 8 – Serving Size 1/8 of tart – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 290, Fat: 22g, Carbohydrate: 15g