These light and fluffy little sponge cakes are easy to make and taste great. This airy cake is light, fluffy and the perfect sweet end to any meal. The cakes have added orange zest, but you could easily adapt it to make any flavour you like. Infused with a citrus orange flavour, and topped with a light cream cheese frosting and fresh raspberries they are lower calorie and delicious!
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 1 large orange
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powdwer
- 100 g extra light soft cheese
- 100 g quark
- 2 level tbsp icing sugar
- 200 g raspberries
- Separate the eggs.
- Add the sweetener, orange juice and zest to the egg yolks, and beat for 5 minutes until smooth and slightly thickened.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they fluff up and form soft peaks.
- Gently fold in the egg mixture and sift in the flour and baking powder. Take care not to knock out the air as this is what will make the sponge rise.
- Bake in a moderate oven until the top is just golden and the sponge is springy to touch.
- To make topping, mix the cheese, quark, icing sugar and orange zest and spread over the cooled cake.
- Decorate with the raspberries and cut into small squares.
Serves 16 – 2 1/2 Syns per square