Most Chinese chicken salads contain a variety of ingredients, often including such things as fruit, nuts and crunchy, dry chow mein noodles. This salad contains chicken, lettuce, and dressing. The dressing is a little spicy and has a unique flavour. All the preparation can be done the day before you plan to serve the salad, and then, just before serving you just toss everything together.
- 2 chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- 3 cups (450 g) of iceberg lettuce
- 1½ (225 g)cups of green cabbage
- 1½ (225 g) cups of purple cabbage
- 1 cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2″ matchsticks
- 1 cup (150 g) edamame beans, shelled
- 1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup (75 g) unsalted peanuts
- 1/3 cup (80 g) smooth peanut butter
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) rice wine vinegar
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp (5 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) honey
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) grapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 425F (218 C).
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and roast for 25-30 mins until cooked through. Set aside and allow to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine the peanut butter, vinegar, lime zest, lime juice and water, whisk until smooth.
- Then add the soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Then slowly add the oil, while whisking, to combine. Set dressing aside.
- Slice lettuce and cabbage into ribbons, slice cucumber into half moons, carrots and red pepper into matchsticks. Thaw edamame if frozen.
- Shred chicken with a fork.
- Place lettuce and cabbage on a plate, add veggies, chicken and toss with the dressing.
- Garnish with 2 tbsp of peanuts. Enjoy!