Chunks of beef simmered in beer with spring onions, garlic, tomatoes, cumin and cilantro. You can make it with water in place of beer if you prefer and just add the meat, or add potatoes. Serve this over rice and you’ll have a delicious comfort dish, Latin style!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1.5 lb choice round beef stew, cut into small chunks
- 1/3 cup light beer
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sazon
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 10 oz baby potatoes, halved or quartered
- In a heavy pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add spring onions and garlic and sauté about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of salt. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add beef to the pot along with beer, water, cumin, sazon, bay leaf and salt if needed.
- Cover and simmer on low heat 1 1/2 hours.
- Test to make sure beef is tender, if not cook another 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 20 minutes depending on the size.
Serves 5 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 192.9 • Fat: 5.3 g • Carbohydrates: 11.5 • Fibre: 1.6 • Protein: 23.2 g • Sugar: 1.1