Turkey burgers with a cayenne pepper kick! Here’s a fun way to turn boring turkey burgers into something a little more exciting. If you’re a buffalo wing fan, you’ll love the flavours in this turkey burger topped with a broccoli slaw tossed with a home made blue cheese dressing.
Buffalo Turkey Burgers & Blue Cheese Broccoli Slaw
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup low fat blue cheese dressing
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 2/3 cup grated carrots (grate in food processor)
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp red onion, grated
- 1/4 cup Hot Sauce
- salt and fresh pepper
- oil spray
- 5 slices reduced fat cheddar
- 5 whole wheat burger buns
- In a medium bowl combine broccoli slaw and skinny blue cheese dressing. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, carrots, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Makes 5 equal patties, 5.5 oz each.
- Heat a large frying pan on high heat. When hot, lightly spray the oil.
- Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook on one side until browned 4-5 minutes, then flip.
- Cook another 4 minutes or until burgers are cooked all the way through (keep heat medium-low to prevent burning); top with cheese and place on a toasted burger buns topped with broccoli slaw.
Serves 5 – Serving Size: 1 Burger – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 358, Fat: 15g, Protein: 38g, Carbohydrate: 23g, Fibre: 6g, Sugar: 6g
Burger and slaw only – (no bun, no cheddar cheese):
Calories: 208, Fat: 9g, Protein: 24g, Carbohydrate: 7g, Fibre: 2g, Sugar: 2g
If you are grilling the burgers, clean the grill well before cooking and spray with oil to prevent sticking.
Low Fat Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 oz fat free Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, mash blue cheese and yoghurt together with a fork.
- Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, and garlic powder until well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 1 cup.
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 2 tablespoons – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 47, Fat: 3g, Protein: 3g, Carbohydrate: 2g, Fibre: 1g