This is a simple pasta dish that is great for dinner. You can also add roasted chicken to this, so the second recipe is not only lower in calories but includes chicken and leeks too!
~ Lower Calorie Chicken with Leeks & Sun-Dried Tomatoes in White Wine Sauce ~
- 1 or 2 leeks (3/4 cup) white part and light green only
- 16 oz (6) skinless chicken breast cutlets, sliced thin
- 2 tsp butter, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour (use rice flour for gluten free)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 oz sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Cut off green tops of leek and remove outer tough leaves. Cut off root and cut leeks in half lengthwise. Fan out the leeks and rinse well under running water, leaving them intact.
- Slice leeks into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lightly dredge in flour shaking off excess.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat; when hot add 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add chicken to the skillet and cook on medium heat for about 3 – 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is no longer pink. Set aside in a warm oven.
- Add additional oil and butter to the skillet, then garlic and cook a few seconds; add leeks, salt and pepper. Sauté stirring occasionally until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, wine, chicken broth, parsley; stir the pan with a wooden spoon, breaking up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook 2 more minutes or until the liquid reduces almost by half.
- Top the chicken with the sun-dried tomato/leeks mixture and serve.
Serves 3 – Serving Size: 2 cutlets with sauce – Nutrition Per Serving*
Calories: 259, Fat: 7g, Protein: 30g, Carbohydrate: 16g, Fibre: 3g
* This recipe only uses 1 tbsp of flour so the calculations are for 1 tbsp flour.