This lower calorie recipe is perfect if you’re craving macaroni and cheese but don’t want to waste a days worth of calories in one meal. You still get that same comforting taste, with a little less guilt. Find out how to make a healthy lower calorie version of macaroni cheese.
~ Lower Calorie Baked Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese ~
- 12 oz high fibre pasta
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetarians use vegetable broth)
- 8 oz (2 cups) reduced-fat sharp cheddar
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Cook pasta and broccoli together in a large pot of salted water, according to package directions for al dente (or slightly under cook 2 minutes).
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large pan, melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat about 2 minutes, add flour and cook another minute, or until the flour is golden and well combined.
- Add milk and chicken broth and whisk, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil; cook about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and broccoli and mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more cooking spray on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then pop it under the grill for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 315, Fat: 9 g, Protein: 17 g, Carbohydrate: 44 g, Fibre: 6 g, Sugar: 4 g