Home made cakes are the best and the video shows you how to make a Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. This rich and moist spice cake, full of grated carrot and toasted nuts, has great flavour, especially when covered with a tangy and sweet flavoured cream cheese frosting.
~ Lower Calorie Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting ~
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut (You can make this without the coconut)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots, peeled
- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts plus 1/4 cup for topping
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz 1/3 fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well.
- Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well.
- Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together.
- Fold in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Spoon batter into an 8″ x 3″ cake pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan.
- Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread frosting over top of cake.
- Garnish with remaining chopped walnuts.
Serves 16 – Serving Size: 1 slice – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 219, Fat: 6g, Protein: 4g, Carbohydrate: 37g, Fibre: 2g, Sugar: 22g