Thick and creamy this is the ultimate comfort food in a bowl. This soup is loaded with potatoes, broccoli and cheese. A one-pot meal your whole family will love and ready in under 30 minutes.
~ Lower Calorie Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup ~
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
- salt and fresh pepper
- 4 cups (about 2 heads) broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1-1/2 cups 2% shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 slices 2% American cheese
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Chop onion, carrot, celery, garlic in a chopper or mini food processor.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add chopped vegetables and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and pepper to the pot and stir until smooth.
- Add chicken broth, milk and potatoes and set heat to high until it comes to a boil, then cover and cook on low until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, parmesan cheese, and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes. Add cheddar and American cheese, stir well and remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, quickly blend part of the soup for a quick second or two.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, remove about 1-2 cups of potatoes
and broccoli, place it in your chopper, then add it back to the soup.
This helps thicken it a bit.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1-1/4 cups – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 282, Fat: 8g, Carbohydrate: 33g, Fibre: 5g, Protein: 20g