Pilates is an exercise system that focuses on stretching and strengthening the whole body to improve balance, muscle-strength, flexibility and posture.
What is Pilates?
Pilates is an exercise system that focuses on stretching and strengthening and was initially adopted by professional dancers in the US as an effective form of recovery after injury, pilates has steadily grown in popularity around the world, and includes celebrity fans such as Madonna and Jennifer Aniston.
Health Benefits Of Pilates
- Pilates can help improve posture, muscle tone and flexibility, core strength and joint mobility, as well as relieve stress and tension.
- There is some evidence that pilates can provide pain relief to people with non-specific lower back pain. For the exercises to be effective, they need to be tailored to the individual and taught by a qualified teacher.
More About Pilates
- If you want to lose weight, combine pilates with a healthy diet and some aerobic activities, such as walking and cycling.
- Suitable for people of all ages Pilates can help with balance, posture, co-ordination and breathing.
- Suitable for people of all levels of fitness Pilates is a more gentle way of raising your activity levels, especially if you have poor mobility, aches and pains or an injury.
- Pilates is a gentle, low-impact form of exercise just make sure that the routines aren’t too challenging.
Pilates Or Yoga?
- Pilates and yoga both focus on developing strength, balance, flexibility, posture and good breathing technique.
- With its emphasis on the unity between the mind and body, yoga has a more spiritual side than pilates.
- The main components of yoga are postures (a series of movements designed to increase the strength and flexibility of the whole body) and breathing.
- Pilates also uses breathing, but its exercises focus much more on precise movements to target specific parts of the body.