These simple to prepare burgers would be great without the sauce and relish, but the whole package eaten together is totally fabulous. These burgers prove that you don’t have to blow your diet to enjoy juicy, amazingly flavourful food. The bacon-onion relish is out of this world as is the spread. If you don’t have a cast iron pan you can use an ordinary pan or grill them instead.
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 applewood-smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 3 cups vertically sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- To prepare the burgers, divide beef into 4 portions, lightly shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle evenly with salt. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To prepare horseradish spread, combine mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients (through ketchup) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare relish, cook bacon in a large non-stick pan over medium-low heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon. Add onion to drippings in pan; cook 15 minutes or until golden brown. Combine bacon, onion mixture, chives, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat a large non-stick over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add burgers; cook 2 minutes on each side or until they are cooked the way you like them.
- Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons horseradish spread on cut sides of each bun half.
- Into each bun put 1 burger, 1/4 cup relish, 1 tomato slice, 1/4 cup lettuce, and then add the top half of bun.
Serves 4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories 351, Fat: 12g, Protein: 29g, Carbohydrate: 33g, Fibre: 3g