Lemon chicken and asparagus is a tasty and simple recipe. It is a delightful combination of tang and zest. Our video today shows you how to make the dish using a simple procedure. This is a fragrant, simple stir-fry recipe and the total preparation and cooking time is about 25 minutes. Served with some steamed rice or mashed potatoes it makes a great week night dinner.
Lower Calorie Lemon Chicken & Asparagus Stir-Fry
- Bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut in half horizontally
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 – 4 chicken breasts, skinned, sliced into strips and lightly tossed in cornflour
- 200g pack of baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
- 4 spring onions, sliced on diagonal
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves and lemon wedges, to serve
For the sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (more, if you like it tangier)
- 1 -2 tsp Chinese cooking wine (or you can use sherry, instead)
- 1 – 2 tsp fish sauce
- About 3 tbsp hot chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with a little water to form a paste
- First, make sauce: mix lemon juice and zest, wine, fish sauce and stock.
- Season lightly, stir in cornflour paste and set aside.
- Put asparagus in a pan of boiling, salted water, simmer for 2-3 mins, then drain, refresh in cold water and put to one side.
- Heat half oil in a wok and add chicken (you may need to do this in batches).
- Season and toss around wok on a high heat for 4-5 mins until cooked through. remove and put to one side.
- Heat remaining oil, add sweetcorn and stir-fry on high heat for a couple of mins, then throw in spring onions and garlic.
- Stir-fry for 1 min, then tip in sauce.
- Raise heat and allow to bubble, stirring all the time.
- Return chicken and asparagus to wok and toss well.
- Taste sauce and season, if needed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve piping hot with lemon wedges on side.
- This goes really well with plain boiled rice.
Serves 4 – Serving Size 1/4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 210, Fat: 7g, Carbohydrate: 4.5g